For, "THE ONE WHO DESIRES LIFE, TO LOVE AND SEE GOOD DAYS, MUST KEEP HIS TONGUE FROM EVIL AND HIS LIPS FROM SPEAKING DECEIT 1 Peter 3:10


Recently one of my dear friends wrote an article on the tongue and I felt inspired to write about the lips. After I had a discussion with my brother, I realized how poisonous my lip can be.


The bible says in Romans 3:13, "THEIR THROAT IS AN OPEN GRAVE, WITH THEIR TONGUES THEY KEEP DECEIVING," "THE POISON OF ASPS IS UNDER THEIR LIPS". It is incredible how the bible can be so right about these parts of our body. The lips transmit the power of the tongue and is as guilty as the tongue in all forms of unrighteousness. Without the lip it would be difficult to understand the true message of the tongue.


Jesus warns us in Matthews 15:8, that often times people honor him with their lips but their hearts are far from him. Isn't it amazing how God's Word clearly define who and what we do? We often use our lips to say nice things, but our hearts and mind say a different story. I have often heard brothers/sisters state categorically that they would never do this or that, but in the end disappointment comes from their action.


We are further warned and encouraged in Proverbs 10:32,"the lips of the righteous bring forth what is acceptable, But the mouth of the wicked what is perverted". If our lips speak righteousness then all is acceptable. Perversion is what is emitted by the mouth of the wicked.


I remember the days when I was not a Christian, my lips would say stuff that would make others tremble. It was normally at the times when I lost control that my lips with the aid of my tongue produced a web of unrighteousness. Now I was considered a quiet person, but when I backed against a wall I would explode. Even as a Christian it has been my challenge to control my lips when pinned against a wall.


Proverbs 18:7 is so right, "A fool's mouth is his ruin, And his lips are the snare of his soul". We all must understand that the lip is very dangerous. If we are not careful, the things from our lip can destroy us and others. We must seek to seal our lips, doing what God expects from us. God expects us to think and say things that are worthy in his sight. No matter how we fool ourselves, we know right from wrong, God pricks our hearts each time. We cannot make excuses about that.


Proverbs 8:7 describes how our lips should behave, "For my mouth will utter truth; And wickedness is an abomination to my lips." If we fail to utter truth and righteousness then wickedness is what will often flow from our lips.


Our lips are a prize that we should guard from evil. If we want to be pleasing in God's sight, we must ensure that as we bridle our tongues, we should also bridle of lips, because the two work together for unrighteousness.