A good name is better than a good ointment, And the day of one's death is better than the day of one's birth. It is better to go to a house of mourning Than to go to a house of feasting, Because that is the end of every man, And the living takes it to heart. Ecclesiastes 7:1-2


You the hours approach when I age another year, I am at a crossroads in my life. I am compelled to examine my purpose in this life and to wonder aloud whether I have missed the mark. For years I have wondered where I am destined to be and what God expects of me.


We all take time to celebrate birthdays, even though it is not scriptural. We are caught up in this life expecting that our days will be long, so we live life in the future, forgetting that we do not control the present. I have come to understand after years of birthday's that I must prepare myself each day for death.


Now I am not trying to be morbid. When I say I am trying to prepare myself for death, what I am saying is that I must be ready for God's calling. It is not a bad thing to prepare for death as each of us will die. If we fail to plan then we plan to fail. If we are outside of God, then we plan to fail if we die in that stead.


Jesus Christ had to endure death for our salvation, so that we who were in sin could be saved. Philippians 2:8-9 tells us that, "Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name," When we humbly submit to God's will he will exalt us to the highest heights.


My birth is important, but if I die without Christ, what would have been my purpose. As I reflect on the years in thanksgiving to God, I say to myself, 'Am I right before God? Am I happy with my life? Do I feel happy when I wake in the morning? Am I fulfilling my true purpose in this life? Am I using my gifts to his glory?


You see my life is not measured by the education I have, nor by the things I own. My life is only worthy if God is leading the way.


As I age I realize that I have choices to make that will change my life forever. Its not an easy road to walk, but I know that if I allow God to guide me then I will be safe. On the other hand, if I allow the devil to interfere with my plans, then I will forever be in a state of unhappiness.


I know recognize that birth and death bring us closer to God. I am thankful to God for this time that I have, and I pray that I will be able to fulfill his purpose for me if its His will.


This is food for thought for all of us who seek to be with God one day..