Let those be ashamed and humiliated Who seek my life; Let those be turned back and dishonored Who delight in my hurt. Psalms 70:2


When you have battled hurt for a time you often become immune and consider it the norm. You mentally start to block it, but really you are burying it deep in your subconscious. Now, I am no psychologist, but I believe that life's lessons are to give us wisdom, and after a while we should learn to appreciate our own situation. 


Each person deals with hurt differently. Some persons eat more, some eat less. Some people suffer depression, leading them to become trapped in their problems, forever seeking to be free. I went through depression in 1994 when I underwent major surgery. The doctor prescribed anti-depressants, which I never took. You see, from a young age I realized that no tablet could cure my depression. It was during that time that I recognized that my life was not in my hands, but in the creator of the heavens and the earth, Almighty God. I am always reminded of my favorite scripture when I think life is mine, James 4:14 "Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away."


No matter the hurt I am feeling, I have control over it, when I leave it all to God. Whenever I try to solve hurt on my own, I end up being overwhelmed by it. I have also learnt that when you have the support of true friends, the hurt disappears. Just a mental note here. I learnt who my true friends were in 1994 when I was sick. I can remember that only one of my friends came to my bedside. In the end, the only true friends I had were my family. When I came to Canada in 2007, I also learnt who my true friends were. I can count of both hands how many people make a conscious effort to find out how I was doing. It's always funny to hear preacher's on a pulpit talking about brotherly love, but the practice of love for brothers is never evident. People hurt, but often times the church [each person in the body of Christ] are too busy with their own life. I have often made it my own mission to become involved in people's life, because I understand that I have to take the 2X4 out of my eye before I point  a finger. It has been a blessing for me to show love when love is not shown, because I am living the example of Christ.


Hurt is a part of life, but if each of us gets involved in the other person's life we can help to heal the hurt. Imagine this. If we are not getting involved in each other's life, how will we know when that person is hurting.


Make it your first resolution of the year to send your brother/sister in Christ an email en quiring about their mental state. Its not easy to talk about hurt, but it starts with a conversation, then the tears, then the healing.