Recently I spent 2 1/2 weeks in Jamaica and it was a great feeling. However, as great as the feeling was to be home with family and friends, it was a time of grieving for me.


I left Jamaica in 2007 to go to what was then called 'greener pastures'. Jamaica for me was getting ridiculously dangerous and I felt that I needed a change. I had served my country proudly for 12 years working in the civil service for most of my life since I left college.


Returning to Jamaica brought back some sad memories though. Especially when I had to go out at nights and worry about my safety when coming home. My leaving did not take away my 'street instincts', I knew the dangers all around me. I was happy that the crime figures had fallen, but brutal crime was still in the news.


My parents still live there and I worry daily for them, but I know that God is with them. I worry for all my friends and family and the people of such a great country. It was sad for me to leave Jamaica, as all I ever wanted was to live there for the rest of my life.


Jamaica has a lot of potential that has been cramped by policies and leadership that is hell bent on fighting over scarce resources. I have come to recognize that no matter which political power is in office, the system still is not working. I see so much potential in agriculture and technology, but the ruling parties do not have a vision of where Jamaica should be.


My friend and I once presented a proposal to one of the Ministries and unfortunately our idea was taken and no credit was given. That is the Jamaica I have had to tolerate for years.


Jamaica  is on the right path now in terms of crime prevention, but unless employment rises, there will be a reemergence of this horrible monster. I believe that Dr. Tufton is doing a great job in agriculture, but he must get the youth back on the farms. We must also be focusing more on the processing and manufacturing of the finished products instead of just growing crops. 


When I spoke to friends about the cost of electricity and water, I realize that if these elements are not regulated, then even with the right intentions, processing and manufacturing would be expensive in Jamaica. The cost of utilities is ridiculously high for such a small country and the people are suffering a grave injustice.


This is what I talk about when I say there is no vision. There has to be a vision by the Government in all areas. They must stop these overseas companies from draining the last penny out of their citizens. How can these high cost to the citizens of Jamaica be justified? Marcus Garvey once said that a people without vision is dead.


I was happy with the roads on the highway, but sad at the condition of the roads in the byways. I know that the debt issue is real and that most of the tax dollars go to pay debt, resulting in no money to pay the day to day bills of the country and that is bad. It seems that the Prime Minister is like President Obama, he inherited a wrecked country and basically was given a 'basket to carry water'. Even worst than that, the bottom has fallen out.


Jamaica has lots of potential, but it will need people going into business and creating jobs for others. That is one of my focuses for the coming years. I want to invest in my country and its industries. I am committed to giving back to a country that molded me into what I am today.