Once a year we grimace while considering that another year has past. This is especially true for those who have finally reached the blooming age of over 30 years. It is easy to be lost in the moment or to even take for granted the blessing of the moment. While our birth is important, what is even more fundamentally important is knowing that God is walking with us on this life journey. 


If we even examine the birth of Jesus Christ for instance,many people fall into the "Christmas" trap, thinking that the birth of Jesus Christ is to be celebrated by man. It is very clear from the bible, that there was never such a celebration. In fact, there is no even a mention of the word "Christmas" in the bible. While I could examine the whole history of the celebration, and how it was coined from a pagan holiday then adopted by the Catholics, time just does not allow such a discussion. The only point is that Christmas is not mandated or authorised by God. What should stand out in our minds is that Jesus Christ came to this earth to suffer a cruel death on the cross, and then to be raised from the dead on the third day. Without his death, burial and resurrection, we would not have the hope of salvation. That is why we celebrate his death by partaking of the Lord's Supper, every first day of the week as commanded by God.


His birth was important, but more important was him following the will of God, that he should be a living sacrifice for us. Let's look at Ephesians 5:1-2, " Be ye therefore imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, even as Christ also loved you, and gave himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for an odor of a sweet smell."  Without that sacrifice we would be lost and without hope.


So while our birthday is important, what is more important is that we also present ourselves as living sacrifices unto God. Roman 12:1 teaches us this profound message, " I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service." For without God we are unholy and unacceptable.


I love celebrating my birthday with family and friends, but I more prefer to be right in the eyes of God. Without him I would not even have been born. When I was 6 months old I suffered chronic bronchitis and the doctors told my Mom that I was going to die, I didn't, thanks be to God. When I was 14 years old and walking home from school, on my avenue I heard gunshots, when I looked a policeman was shooting at a gunman right in my path, I survived, thank God. When I was 21 years old I had to do major surgery, doctors said it was supposed to last 20 minutes, it lasted 1hr and 15 minutes, I survived, thanks be to God. All these experiences have taught me that each day is my birth, each day I rise to walk again with God, thankful and gripping each breath.