"Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, For I wait for thee." Psalm 25:21


The World Cup has attracted the attention of many football lovers. Its appeal is no doubt hypnotic in nature, compelling even the non-sport lover. For me though, the World Cup this year has been one of the worse on record in terms of honesty and true respect for sportsmanship. As I watched the Ghana versus Uruguay match today I felt a sickness come over me as I observed what a player will do to win a match. I mention here the deliberate hand ball by a Uruguay player who at all costs sought to stop the opponents header from going into the goal. Yes we know what happened next, he was red carded, and the Ghanian player missed the resulting penalty to the joy of the red carded player. Mission accomplished the opponent didn't score, my job has been done, must have been in thoughts in his mind.


We have seen throughout the World Cup, not just in this game, but teams like the US, Mexico and England and others were subjected to bad decisions by referees and players. It seem in the nature of man that they will do anything to win. The concept of honesty and righteousness seem to have been lost in all realms. It has never been this bad in the World Cup and now the microscope has been taken from the lab and is peering meticulously at the events.


It is not surprising that the man of the world seems to do such things, he is forever at war with righteousness. The World Cup and the actors who take the stage for each match are well groomed in the art of winning at all costs. The producers and directors are all in sync reaping the cheers of the fans. The morals that may have existed in the common man has been replaced by the sounds of coins in a pocket. 


Personally I have been losing interest with each passing game, consoling myself with the reality that the things of this world are just vanity. The words of Solomon ring out in my ears from Ecc. 3:19,  "for the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity."