"I would hasten to my place of refuge From the stormy wind and tempest." Psalm 55:8


In 1988 when I was a teenager in Jamaica, I encountered the devastating hurricane called "Gilbert". It was one of the scariest moments in my life, hearing the howling wind, and seeing my parents roof take wings like an eagle. I can remember in the midst of the storm there was a calm when the eye of the hurricane was over the Island. At this moment everyone ran outside and the sky were so bright, however, this was only the beginning of things to come. Suddenly the sky became dark again, and the winds raged, and the rains came rushing down. For a couple days the rains continued unabated. Jamaica was completed battered, with many people losing their life and property. We were without electricity for a couple of months. We had access to almost nothing, only the few items my Dad had bought. With our roof gone, we sought refuge at our neighbors house for a couple weeks, while my Dad and my brother sought to repair it.


It was a time that most would want to forget, but I learnt many things during that time. I wasn't a child of God then, but I felt that God had preserved Jamaica and its people. Even with the losses we had, there was always a ray of hope, as we could have lost more lives.
God was my family's and I refuge during that storm.


God has always been a refuge to his people, even when the storm of life rage. You see there are times when there are bright skies and we think our storm is gone, but the tempest returns with more. But we must cry out, as the psalmist says, "I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!". We can only trust in him when the storms come and go.


I am reminded of Proverbs 14:26, "in the fear of the LORD there is strong confidence, And his children will have refuge." The bible tells us that the beginning of wisdom starts with the fear of the Lord. When we fear almighty God we have a refuge, safe under his arms.


I realized a great lesson after Hurricane Gilbert, how many people's faith was tested and restored. Many people showed love to each other. There was no TV, no radio, no cellphone, no fridge, but there was community and love. God was walking through the waters keeping us all safe.