On the first day of Unleavened Bread, when the Passover lamb was being sacrificed, His disciples said to Him, "Where do You want us to go and prepare for You to eat the Passover?" Mark 14:12


Last night I was looking for a recipe to make Unleavened Bread. You see I live way up in the north where there is no congregation for me to worship with. Therefore I am forced to worship online with one of the congregations in Jamaica. Its truly a blessings that technology allows me to be able to do so. When you are faced with difficulties like these God always seems to open doors. The devil would love if I didn't not worship God at all.


I was lucky enough to find a recipe that was contributed by a member of the church. I have never made Unleavened Bread, normally I would be served the bread at the Lord's Supper. In that case, the bread was already prepared. At no time did I ever wonder if the bread served was truly unleavened.
When I examined the recipe, there were only three ingredients, oil, water and flour [without yeast]. The process was a simple one, but it was God given. Like the Israelite's, we as Christians are required to partake of this unleavened bread. God instructed the Israelite's that no yeast be added to this bread. For those who don't bake, yeast is an agent which causes the flour to rise. That is how we get hard dough bread and other such bread that we call loaves. Adding yeast to the bread was unacceptable in God's sight for the Passover.


Let's look at how the concept of leaven versus unleavened as used in 1 Corinthians 5:7-9, Clean out the old leaven so that you may be a new lump, just as you are in fact unleavened. For Christ our Passover also has been sacrificed. Therefore let us celebrate the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. Christ is our Passover,and as such we are required to offer things that are unleavened unto him when we celebrate his Communion. He does not accept the leaven bread.


About a year ago I went to a congregation that claimed that they worship God and celebrate Christ's death, burial and resurrection. However when the man who stood up said that at the Lord's table you could use any bread I was astonished. At which point I did not partake of the Supper, because they were using bread with yeast. If we are to honor God's commands he requires that we use unleavened bread, there is no compromise, its a command from him.


We have to be careful when we buy bread in boxes that claim to be unleavened. You often see some words that you cannot pronounce and you wonder to yourself, is it truly unleavened? The safest bet is to just make the bread. Searching for the recipe has made me realize that I have to follow God's commands closely if I am to worship him the way he wants to be worshiped. Celebration of the Lord's Supper is about thanksgiving and remembrance of what God has done for me. God has always given man simple commands, but man has always found a way to complicate them. When you worship God today, check the bread that you consume at the table, whether it is prescribed by God. If it is not unleavened bread then you know what to do.